Today I am sitting at home. My laundry is lined up along the windows, wet, on hangers. Outside it is raining, but my windows are still open, drying the clothes. Kelsey Knutson, my roommate, and I made muffins, and now I am relaxing. It is a wonderful day.
Yesterday I attended a conference in North Bethesda, where I was given a name tag that read my name, and below, a blue ribbon with gold ribbon that read "Diplomat." I won't even lie to you: I wore it all the way home. I also got some freebies: A stuffed camel, an inflatable globe, and an invite to a party. I visited Slovenia's booth, where I was met by two young Slovenian interns, one with a very cool lip ring.
I knew instantly that I must be friends with them. I must admit, however, that my confidence was shaken after the run-in with the Danish interns last week at Euro night. But Jan and Marko proved very friendly, and invited me to a party that night at the Slovenian Embassy.
Who am I to say no to an Embassy party? So I went with my friend Olivia, dressed to the nines, with an Irish flag pin on my lapel. They were honoring a 91 year old Italian/Slovenian artist, whose name I cannot recall. The food and drink was excellent, and it was there that I met the other EURO INTERNS. They came from Finland, Sweden, and Slovenia. At this point I decided that we should form a "Lunch Club." Apparently, there was already a facebook group formed. I was told that they Danish are consistently flaky. Good to know it wasn't just me.
During the night, here is what I learned about Slovenia:
It is NOT Slovakia.
There are 2.5 Million people.
They speak Slovenian.
People like to ski there, but they usually go to neighboring Italy to do so.
The interns live in the basement of the Embassy. (Color me jealous)
After the event, all the "EUROTERNS" took a walk to go the home of the Swedish Ambassador's chef. During the walk, they bragged about knowing every word to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song. And that they did. Unfortunately, later, my toes had an awful encounter with the sidewalk, and they started to bleed, so I had to go home early. Unfortunate. But it was great while it lasted, and I hope to see all those people again for "Lunch Club" soon.
Tonight appears to be equally promising. I met a young person at the Italian Embassy last week, and tonight I am going to grab some pizza with them, and meet some more of their George Washington University friends. Bella Notte!
No comments:
Post a Comment