Quite the Time in 2009 has been a magnificent journey. But as the time passes, the air cools, and the leaves are changing colors in Washington D.C., I realize that 2009 is rapidly drifting away. Thus, a name change is called for. The new name of my blog will take effect today.
The new name is "Wanderlust." This is derived from the German word "Fernweh" which is literally "an ache for the distance." I think this name suits the blog well. Change is here.
Lots of things have happened in my life lately. Lots of things that are cause for celebration. Every weekend since I have started at the Embassy, I have attended a party. Two weeks ago was a reception for the Order of the Ancient Hiberians, an organization of Irish-American Catholic men. This was at the residence of His Excellency the Ambassador of Ireland. The residence is quite amazing. There is a (very cute) resident chef, and also, a swimming pool. I think maybe I will try very hard to be friends with the Ambassador's wife so that I can go swim in these last few warm days. Though, that scenario is highly unlikely.
I have also attended a press conference, where I was undoubtedly the youngest in attendence. One particular one was an Internet Summit hosted by the FCC. I got so much out of that. And when I say so much, I mean so much free stuff. Lots of sodas were snuck into my backpack that day. I don't know if I have made this known, but I am minoring in "Shameless Thievery." While I definitely had no idea what was going on at this conference, it felt amazing to have people think that I did.
Among my favorite activities since I have started here are the trips to the other embassies. Last Thursday night, I visited the Italian Embassy for an Opera discussion with the conductor of the Kennedy Center's "Barber of Seville." I was invited to this event through my Italian Language Club that I am a part of here in DC. At the event was an artist who takes stories from classic operas and turns them into story books for children. Her speech, though rallied through a translator, was remarkable. She stressed that opera was very important to culture, and it was important to teach children from a young age to appreciate this art form. This is right up my alley. I ate it all up, and I can guarantee that my children will have those books someday.
Friday night I visited the French Embassy for the 2nd Annual "Euro Night." At this exhibition, all EU countries set up booths with food and drink. Then, DC citizens (who spent $25 to get in) could go around and sample regional fare. Before the event started, I stopped at the Danish booth. The guys there were so Danish looking. They were all about my age, clutching Carlsbergs. My-oh-my did that bring back the memories. I found out one of them was from Aalborg, and maybe tried a little too hard to make him be my friend. But my friend request was denied, as I was a little too desperate to acquire a Danish connection.
The rest of the night was a success, passing out Irish cheeses to the masses. A Swedish hip-hop artist played, and the diplomats and I had a good chuckle over the scene of drunken debauchery. So all in all, some bonding going on. Please like me!!!
So that is a summary of what has been happening in my life. I wish I had some keen introspection to offer this week, something inspiring or thought provoking. But alas, I have none to offer at this moment. These past weeks I have been trying to catch up to myself. I am also thinking a lot about the future, and am looking into educational opportunities after graduation. With all the commotion, I and am finding it hard to stay connected with friends as my life is moving 1,000 miles an hour. So I hope that those who care to know about my life can read this blog and take comfort in the fact that I am thinking of you all, and wish the best for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment