When you ask my parents how they met, they will always tell you the same story. Mom was living in an apartment alone. She met my dad, and when he came over to her apartment, the only food she had in the house was a jar of jam and some bread.
Today I looked in the fridge, and saw I had only 2 pieces of bread wrapped in tinfoil, and a jar of boysenberry jam.
So my dad took her to the grocery store, where he bought her a lot of groceries. He spent so much that to this day I think my mom just might still be embarrassed at the cost.
I think that I get it now- because I understand now why my mom only had jam. She probably was capable of grocery shopping, and probably had a little bit of money that she could have gone out and got something for herself. But I think that her time was too precious. I think that she worked all day, and when she came home, she wouldnt want to cook a whole meal just for herself, when she knew that she would enjoy bread and jam just as much.
When my father came along, he demonstrated a sort of luxury. His compassion and concern in this story is touching. While my mom didn't really care about what she had to eat, it was of great concern to my dad. He thought she deserved more than my mom thought she deserved for herself.
Now, I know I cannot do this story justice. And, Mom, if you are reading this right now, maybe you think I got it all wrong. But the point is, my mom demonstrated to me what it means to be content with what you have. My father demonstrated to me that a good man will make efforts to make your life comfortable, even if you don't think you need it.
2 comments:
Maybe is the jam but...is so sweeeet
Don't forget the tire for her car, and the hair dryer. That was such a sweetly told post. I love my girl. :)
Post a Comment