Friday, April 27, 2012

Joni Mitchell and Grocery Bags

Here I am, once more, a stranger to my blog. What prompts me to return to this is a definite and sincere feeling of Wanderlust once more. Today, looking out the window, I was thinking of how I feel like I am being blown around in the wind. No matter what I do, the wind is more powerful than I. More specifically, I am a plastic grocery bag that is stuck in the tree.

I am a source of annoyance to the tree as well as the passer-by. I am not there on my own accord, but rather, time, chance, and weather have happened to me. And here I am, bits of me stuck in a place I don't want to be. Waiting for the wind to blow the right direction to take me somewhere new, or some novelty tree-bagger removers to come and lift me out.

All this might sound a bit desperate, coming from the blogger who -literally- once said that the world is my oyster. Up in this tree I am inclined to feel differently.

I wonder what advice I'd give the bag. It's probably the advice most people tell me these days- "Hang in there." It's boderline offensive when all I can do is indeed, hang in here.

I know one thing: that all of a sudden, your life can change. It's my hope that the wind will soon carry me. I'm always thinking of Joni Mitchell songs nowadays (Let the wind carry me, for one). Mostly it's "Both Sides Now." Let's post my favorite verse:

Tears and fears and feeling proud
to say "i love you" right out loud,
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds,
I've looked at life that way.
But now old friends are acting strange,
they shake their heads,
they say I've changed.
Something's lost
but something's gained in living every day.

I think Joni must have been 23 when she wrote this song. I remember these blogs having an optimistic ending, but I'm afraid all I can say now is that even though I don't believe my upcoming change will be easy, I do have faith that it will happen. And I think that's something.

No comments: