Monday, August 24, 2009

Where is Beyonce When you need her?

So tonight, after a nice milkshake at local "goodstuff" I called it a "goodnight" early.

When I decided to get up and get a glass of water, I discovered a new roommate- a giant roach, sitting on my carpet. The first thing I did was scream. The second thing I did was find a bowl to put over it, and something heavy to sit on top of that bowl.

I called my brother, who informed me that cockroaches can live for months without food. While I still believe this is a lie, it got me to thinking. Thinking about how wonderful it would be to have a man around to take care of those horrid (giant) insects.

In Denmark, I would call on my wonderfully faithful neighbor Timothy Cakebread. But here in DC, there is no such man.

Sure, it is easy to say "I am an independent woman" or to sing the anthem "All the Single Ladies!" But the truth is, it is a lot easier to be a "single lady" when you are dancing in a club. What is harder is this stuff. Killing bugs. Knowing no one within reach is brave enough to help you conquer your fears.

So there it is. A vulnerable side of "Quite the Time." I am learning that there are things that, right now, I have to learn to do myself- And continue to hope that one day, I won't have to do it alone :)

I leave you with a scripture, my brother Zach so artfully crafted for this situation:

"Do not fret because of 'cockroaches' or be afraid of the 'cockroaches' in your room. For like grass, they will soon wither. Like green plants, they will soon die away. Trust in the Lord (and kill the cockroach) and dwell in the "room" and enjoy the safe pasture."

Psalm 37:1- The Bible according to my older brother.

PS- It is 2:30 AM, and the bug is still under the bowl. So if you are reading this, and live in DC, please feel free to stop by sometime this week to help me kill it. After all, I heard they stay alive for months ;)

No comments: