iPhone has made it possible to now blog from anywhere at any time! I'm a real 21st century gal now:)
I am coming to you now from inside the Smithsonian museum of american history. I took the metro here on this ungodly hot day. It has to be 34 degrees, and I am sitting on a bench next to two ladies I believe to be German, but in my heart I keep wishing they were Danish. I've been playing the name that tourist game based on how they dress and act. Turns out Germans are the easiest to spot.
Previous to this, I went to the smithsonian castle, which is a museum about a museum. Lucky me. I'm glad it is free.
Today I hope to see the first ladies gowns and Carrie Bradshaw's laptop. So educated, right? Glad i'm taking advantage of all these educational opportunities. So far, I see Capitol hill and the national mall as a more utilitarian version of Paris. And I don't mean that to sound snotty or in patriotic, that's just the way it is. It was designed by L'Enfant, a French designer, and looks a lot like Paris from the parks to the streets to the homes. However, dc is much more functional. While the mall that connects the Arc de Triomphe to Musee de Louvre is presteen (sp?)and covered in flowers, our national mall is miles of trampled grass and sand. To me, this is very significant to our people. Our mall has been used for protests, rallies, inagurations, etc. The thought of covering it with landscaping would be absurd and indeed short lived.
Basically, I mean to say that wide open spaces can say a lot about the people who live there. Not that one is better than the other.
K gotta go see some Americana stuff now!
No comments:
Post a Comment