Welcome Back, Blog!
I hadn't realized I have not blogged in about a month. My apologies to my 7 followers! 7! WOW. It's gone up. (Thats' what she said?) Sorry Mom. Haha!
I don't get many of those jokes in nowadays, Scandinavian humor is quite different. Actually, I'm not sure such a thing exists. The Danes have more a coincidental laugh, that suggests amusement rather than joviality. Like "ha ha ha... that was a nice little tidbit there. Thank you for your thoughts." Or perhaps I misunderstand them- I've come to realize that Americans are quite expressive with their emotions.
Americans also seem to be more excitable. For instance, this week I was in a writing workshop for a cumulative project I have to do with a group of students. One of the student tutors told us that it took her group a month to come up with a suitable thesis for their paper. One month! So I looked at the other American girl and she said to me "Give me ten minutes, I'll get it done." Without batting an eyelash I said "Why are we still sitting here now? Let's get crackin." I had to laugh because I realized this competition for efficiency is totally American. It would not take a month for us to get ANYTHING done. Especially if it were a competition.
The everyday things make me feel American. When I wear sneakers. When my hair is in a ponytail. When I don't wear a scarf. All these times I know I'm giving myself away as a non-native, but I don't care. Being an American is a great excuse to do things that are considered semi-rude here, like eating an apple in class, or laughing to loudly at a joke. We have a charming abrasiveness.
This quality, however, is difficult to replicate. One of my friends the other day asked me "Katrina, is okay, when I talk with someone, and someone else talk to me, is okay to say 'Shutup?'" I said absolutely not! I explained to him how I would get in trouble as a child if I said that at school, or god forbid, around my grandmother! I thought this was funny.
I've been teaching English quite a bit lately- the other night I had dinner with a couple young men who invited me over, and had me label their entire apartment with green post-it notes. Later they posted paper on the wall, and had me label all the parts of the body. I had such a great time doing this- I think someday I would like to teach English overseas. They are so eager and excited to learn, it is truly refreshing.
I wish I had more to say about things I have been doing lately, but truth is it's been very chill around here. I just finished the A&E version of "Tom Jones." I enjoyed the 6 hour film quite a bit. I've liked A&E films since I was very young, but I'm glad I didn't see this one until now. It's definitely an 18+ film. I am impressed by Henry Fielding's writing- for the late 1700's he is certainly a pioneer, and his characters are still so relevant and substantial! Some of the acting isn't the best, but if you get the chance (mom) it is a perfect movie to watch this winter with a cup of hot tea, and probably some cookies. If you can stand some nudity!
Tomorrow I am going to go to a place here in Aalborg that are Viking Burial Grounds! I am excited to see it, although it isn't much. I hope their is a gift shop, because I am dying to have something that says something along the lines of "dead viking."
Further in the future, I am going to Sheffield and London England with some friends! Also I am planning on visiting Italy, Greece, and Paris.
Even further in the future, I am applying to live in Washington DC in the Fall and participate in the Capitol Hill Internship Program (CHIP). I am very excited to start applying for internships, and I hope you all will keep me in your prayers! I'm hoping for something electronic media based, like CNN or Discovery Channel. I want to replace Samantha Brown someday and take all those cruises, maybe chatting a little politics between here and there ; )
Have a wonderful week and God Bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment