While the language here is daunting to say the least, certain things are very close to English. I can now go into my favorite pastry shop and order all my myself! Language class is a great challenge, but I also have a lot of fun with it. I got very lucky, and my instructor is a young woman with a good attitude, which is sort of an exception! It's sort of a running joke that all Danish women are...well, less than friendly. But of course, that's just a stereotype. A teacher I had explained the grouchiness of the women to me like this: Back in the day, all the Danish Viking men went off to explore the rest of the world, and the women had to stay at home and manage the homes and farms all by themselves. But then the jokes remained- did the Vikings go exploring to get away from the women?
My progress with the language is comparable to that of a three year old Danish child. Yesterday I was riding home on the bus, and this little boy was trying to count numbers on his mittened hand. He did a lot better job than I could have!
Speaking of buses, I hate the bus system in Aalborg!!!!!!! I get lost ALL the time. I don't exaggerate. Going somewhere alone is dangerous, not because of the city, but because it could be hours before I get home. Everyone here at home in the Kollegium makes fun of me for always missing my stop, or getting on the wrong bus. But it happens. Plus, I always capture my adventure on my camera. I have seen so much of this city, I'm starting to think I'm getting lost on purpose : ) There are still so many errands to run, but I'm hanging in there!
Well, enough complaints, let me tell you about the past week in Aalborg, because it is absolutely fabulous.I have so much to report and record, so I will try to keep this brief!
Last Thursday night it snowed in Aalborg, and everyone who lives in the Kollegium took this opportunity to start a snowball fight! For many of the international students, it was their first time seeing snow! It was hilarious to see the competition that broke out, and I think some were surprised by my maybe a little too intense sense of competition and strategy. But when you grow up in Nebraska, Snow Ball fights aren't a game. They are war. Chris, the Scottish guy, led the group to a park where there is a giant hill, and we all rolled down on the snow. It was a blast! The snow is long gone now- it only sticks for like one day. It is now sunny, and has been for a couple days- which is RARE for Denmark in February!
The night after that was the Erasmus welcome party. And I cannot even begin to describe that night. All the internationals took over the Downtown area for a party, which lasted well into the night. Everyone is so friendly, and in most places, when people are gathered, you will meet minimum 50 people a night. Even if you are standing in a corner. People are all here have fun, and it is very refreshing to be in such good company.
The following day at 10 AM, all international students gathered for a "Language Bath" which was 6 straight hours of Danish lessons. This was exhausting, given our long evening the night before! I learned a lot, but it was a bit long for my taste.
That evening, Saturday night, Aalborg International Friends sponsored a dinner at a church in Aalborg. It is a social organization in Aalborg sponsored by the church. There is also a bible study that meets at that location, and I hope to go to it. Being downtown, it is a bit far away, but I'm hoping I can make it there at least a couple times. At the dinner they served traditional Danish food, which to me was....interesting. There were a lot of meatballs, and a salad that consisted of carrots, cabbage, horseradish, and raisins. Also for desert was a substance that seemed like slightly more viscous jam, over which you poured heavy cream. It was interesting, it tasted a bit like melted ice cream to me.
Just a side note on food- it is very very expensive to eat at a sit-down restaurant here. Like about 30 USD. Which is not practical for me at all. At McDonalds, you will spend about 12 USD on a value meal. Which makes me really miss all the cheap food at home. I cook for myself now, and those who know me, know I'm not the best chef. The food I make is decent, filling, and healthy. Which is all that matters. I just really want to go to Texas Roadhouse right about now. Despite the price, I will most likely make it to McDonald's sometime in the upcoming week. While I know it isn't very adventurous of me, I'm still craving some fried food- I haven't seen any.
After the Danish food adventure, I found myself amongst a large group of Italians, and a few Hungarians. One of the Italians, Damiano, found a guitar by the side of the road, fixed it up, and hosted a sing-along for the rest of the evening. Now that is my kind of fun. They know a lot of American songs, but they also sang a lot in Italian. I am attempting to learn the language, since they don't ever feel the need to speak in English around me ; )
So somewhere in between the dancing and the singing and the eating, I managed to get a very bad cold. It's a virus all the North Americans are catching- none of the Europeans seem to be getting sick. It's all the new germs and excitement I think. But today I am feeling much better!
During one of my days I wasn't feeling sick, I went downtown to meet my buddy for coffee. Turns out that he has family in Omaha! If you are from Omaha and you are reading this (mom, lol) is there any chance you know James Pilker and Gerilyn Lee Pilker? My buddy is a history major, and has done a lot of research on his genealogy. I think it is so cool, and I would love to do similar research someday!
After meeting my buddy, I went shopping at Fotex, the bigger grocery store in town. The carts were absolutely hilarious. Here is a picture:
I tried so hard to sneak a picture and make it discreet, but it was difficult because the grocery is always packed. It is very practical- just a shopping basket with a long handle and weels! They are so small that they are comical however. I want to steal one because it would be so convenient to get my groceries home! On the way out the door, they were serving shots of Baileys as samples. It was the strangest thing...serving alcohol for free at the grocery store is unheard of in America!
This week I also witnessed my first soccer (football) game! I went downtown to watch the Italy v. Brazil game. Brazil won, but I guess it was a friendly game. I have no idea what that means, but I watched a game, and it was eye opening. Those europeans sure go crazy for that game!
On the way back, I got on the bus about ten minutes before it departed. Since I got there early the bus driver started talking to me. When he found out I was from America, he, of course, wanted to talk politics with me. And that is how I met Ali Paydari, member of the Konservative Folkeparti of Denmark. He told me all about how he had visited the embassy in Copenhagen, and was given an American Flag. Here in Denmark, I found a conservative. It turns out that before we left, my bus card wasn't working right in the machine, and since I was a fellow conservative, he let me ride for free! Yay! Also, for the first time, I did not get lost or miss my stop. I like to think that God is watching out for me and sending people my way who will help me find my way around the city.
Like my friend Oscar, who has the map of the city memorized. He also helps me find where I need to go! His roommate, Claudio, is also an exceptional cook. I'm glad they feed me from time to time, otherwise, I'd be eating bread and lunch meat everyday!
Well, I know this his been the longest blog in the world, but in closing, I'll tell you about last night. My good friend Terricka turned 21, and the Kollegium hosted a party! People came from all over the city. Later the party moved downtown, which was a great time : ) Later tonight, is yet another party to celebrate Valentines Day. I'm looking forward to it!
COMING SOON: A photostream! SO you can look at my pictures rather than just reading about them!
Take Care! Ciao! Hi Hi! Au Revoir!
1 comment:
Wow...we are in such unbelievably different places... but experiencing very similar things : ) I totally didn't see the comment about your blog until just now. Good to find you on here!
Post a Comment