Craigs List.
Amusing, entertaining, useful. I have been searching for a serious, full-time job for quite some time. Now, as my internship winds down and I am staring summer right in the eye, I have decided to look at more short-term options. After looking at several reputable websites for a summer job and receiving multiple letters of rejection, I decided to turn to the black dragon, aka, Craig's List.
So much of it you know is fake or a scam, and any smart person can surely tell the difference. While I started looking "just for the craic," I soon found a job that didn't look too bad. A receptionist was need from 12:30-5:00 and needed to dress up. Details listed were answering phones, etc. Now, normally these postings don't say where they are located, for their own safety.
Curious, I wrote them an email asking if I could get more details, such as where it is located. A nice lady emailed me back, explaining the times needed once more, and that I would need to help direct guests, take phone calls, and arrange flowers. I thought this was odd and immediately looked to her signature tag on the email.
She was hiring for a receptionist in a funeral home. I was shocked, and then I thought, well that wouldn't be too bad, I suppose. Then I really considered it. Everyday, I would see a dead body, and I'm not even a doctor. Okay, so even if I could handle that, every day, I would be going to a funeral. Every day, surrounded by crying people.
I shared this with Joe, who had an identical reaction to me- shock, then reassurance that it wouldn't be "that bad," and that "people don't really die in the summer." My humorous anecdote is this: at Victoria's Secret, I also wear black, so there wouldn't be any need for new work clothes!
That was yesterday. Today I received another email from the lady saying that there was an overwhelming response to the position and that if I still wanted an interview, I ought to secure it now. To those reading who are maybe in a different generation, where jobs came more easily, I beg of you to take heed.
The moral of this story is that while the saying goes "beggars can't be choosers," I think that saying is inverted and also causal for me. I am a chooser, therefore I am a beggar. And if being choosy means I hold out for something that doesn't involve death, I think that's okay. I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment