Today was an excepionally rough day at the Embassy. Okay, I take that back, it was actually absolutely fabulous.
I spent the morning attending to my new duties as hostess/gatekeeper for the Christmas party. Everyone has a Christmas tradition, and for the Irish, it is forcing the intern to manage the guest list. But I don't mind. I feel a bit powerful- like a hostess at a very "happening" restaurant. I am an E-Bouncer for party crashers and the uninvitees- all while remaining perfectly diplomatic. I complain because it's the Irish way, but really, I'm loving it. Don't tell anyone.
After a morning of that I prepared questions for a "Pub Quiz" for my students at Janney Elementary School. It was my final day at the school, and I wanted to give them something memorable. So I brought lots and lots of prizes, a trivia game, and my supervisor Deirdre.
At the school, they formed teams and I read the questions out loud. They were questions on subject matter I had taught them in the preceding weeks. Twenty-one questions in all, I asked them about the Irish Government and the European Union. The lowest score was 16/21. That is pretty darn good for ten year-olds. I was proud to see how smart they were, and proud to accept their Thank-You cards, which were both sweet and hilarious. Some were elaborate pop-up cards with drawings of Christmas trees. Others had a Big Red "N" and said "GO HUSKERS!" I found this especially moving. Almost all of them featured the Irish flag. One in particular caught my attention and brought me to tears of laughter.
On the cover, in the somber pencil-writing of a fifth grader, it was written:
"Bye Katrina Maybe I'll see you again"
On the inside, another picture of an Irish flag. And then more writing:
"Enjoy the rest of your life. Have fun in Nebraska."
A picture of two stick figures waving to each other. One saying bye. The other saying have fun.
The words of this child were so final. Enjoy the rest of your life. Even now I'm laughing. These kids were simply lovely.
When I returned to the Embassy, I spent the next couple of hours decorating the Embassy, using materials from giant dusty cardboard boxes. I was joined by my friend Noreen, and later Martina, who brought with her Irish Coffee (to keep in the holiday spirit). It was a marvelous time, just laughing with these ladies and strategizing the decor for a tree.
Although they insisted I go home, that it was past five, I refused them. I wasn't going to have the opportunity to do this at home. Plus, with Noreen (my adopted mother at the Embassy), I felt like I was doing it with my family. That's what Christmas is all about really, just being close to the people who are looking out for you, and remembering that someone has your back. That the people around you care about you.
After visiting the school, and decorating the tree, I felt a sense of accomplishment. I had people who cared about me, and I had shown care for another group of people. I had finally affected something. Finally, I had thrown my full weight at something in Washington DC- and to my suprise- it moved. I have been striving all semester to make some sort of difference, and just now- days before I leave- I feel that sense of accomplishment. And it feels good.
For those of you who were expecting Part 2 of the series, stay tuned. That order is coming right up.
Also, a quick word about the format of my blog. I've thought of changing to something besides black, or adding more photos, or textures. I've thought of making it highly interactive with links and more videos. But when I look at my blog, I like that it is black, and the only light is my words. It is pure, simple, and symbolic. So that is why it is so plain, my apologies to you multimedia freaks.
1 comment:
At least none of the children drew you portraits of you....Randi Shook (Beth Clausen's room mate) is student teaching and came home with many, MANY drawings of herself....and I've never laughed so hard. ;)
love, Erik
Post a Comment