Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ten Minutes With the Intern

Welcome Readers to my blog series entitled:

"A Semester of Dual-Citizenship:
Irish Eyes in the Red, White, and Blue."

Introduction


Washington D.C.’s motto is, literally, “Taxation without representation.” While other states, such as Nebraska, use cheery motto’s such as is “The good life,” DC chooses this somber quip to express to you—from the moment you enter the area, to every time you read a license plate, that D.C is not a happy place.

Washington is a place where people take themselves very seriously. And that is no joke. This social quirk is especially apparent in the MetroRail system. When entering the metro, “standers” will slide to the right on the escalator, and the important people will dash down the steps on the left side. This is how the social hierarchy is established on public transport. The busier you are, the more important you must be. The two are directly related.

The particular thing of this system is that they are not simply “more important.” They are more important than you. These are the key facts for survival in DC.

At times it is hard to believe that these brutes on the metro are the same people who play Frisbee with their dogs in Stanton Square at night before the sun goes down. These people live and breathe according to the two rhythms of DC—very, very fast, and then trying to escape from the monster of responsibility that is their jobs and the city.

Now to give a fair perspective, I must say a word about myself. I am from Nebraska, which recently was named “the happiest state in America.” The reasoning for this? People live within their means. They don’t spend too much, and they aren’t in debt. They appreciate the simpler things.

Last semester, I studied in Aalborg, Denmark, which is, and has been for years, “the happiest place on earth.” Again, the reasoning given? Similarly, people live within their means. They consider everyone equals. In fact, the golden rule of Danish culture is literally “you are not better than anyone else.”

Coming from these happy places, I watch daily as people push and shove, all in the name of themselves. The general vibe of the city is that everyone is looking out for number one. I believe that people come to DC seeking to develop their careers. At the point in one’s life when they come to DC, they are looking for advancement. DC is a city of power, and those who seek it flock here.

Though I am hesitant to admit it, it is the reason I am here. I didn’t come here to help someone, or to raise money for someone else. I am here for the advancement of my career. I am here to build my knowledge of the world, and gain experience. What is wild to me is that I want this so badly for myself, that I am willing to work day in and day out—for free. This is the life of a DC Intern.

1 comment:

SC said...

Nebraska was named the happiest state? I gotta check that out...