Friday, July 2, 2010

It's OPSEC

Many moons have passed since I have updated my blog. That's because what I have been doing is very confidential and hush-hush. Just kidding. But I have been working as a researcher for the Department of Defense. And as I'm not exactly sure how much I'm allowed to say- or "OPSEC" (operational security)- I'm afraid the cat has got my tongue. Posting things on the internet isn't as kosher as it once was.

Thankfully, my writing was never too deep, so I shall continue. This is a very interesting time of my life, and I thought I should catch up those who might be interested, or at least as a record for myself.

Next week I will be interviewing for the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship. This scholarship would cover the expense of my Master's Degree, and would allow me to do that abroad. My top choice is, of course, Ireland- Trinity College Dublin. Also making the cut are: Oxford University in England, Copenhagen University, University of Malta, and Cork University in Ireland.

Clearly, Ireland has captured my attention- and I haven't even been there yet! But a bit of good news- I will be spending the next year of my life in Belfast, Northern Ireland at Queen's University completing my Political Science minor and writing my Bachelor's thesis. While there, I have a couple things I'd like to accomplish. 1. Visit Denmark again! 2. Do some more traveling! (Italy anyone?) 3. Do some volunteer work in the community, and 4. Make some connections for grad school in the future! I am applying for a lot of scholarships, but should those fall through, I want to be prepared.

Other good news, my brother Zachary just got engaged this weekend to his girlfriend of three years, Shobana. He proposed at Disney World! I'm so happy for them, they are made for each other. Also, Shobana applied for "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC, so I hope she gets it.

After I finish my undergraduate degree, I have to be honest: I'm scared. Scared of what the future holds, or doesn't hold. I'm afraid that all the wonderful things that have been happening to me will stop. I'm afraid I'll have to do it all alone. I'm afraid of being poor. I'm afraid of rejection. I'm afraid of disappointing those who love me. For that reason, I think I'll just backpack through Europe for a year, get lost, learn Romanian, and blend into the scenery repairing shoes or something.

My resume is cute. It's a piece of paper I feel proud of but have very little confidence in. I pray someone will want to hire me. I'm also EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity to go abroad next year and sort out everything I've learned about employment this summer. It's a lot to handle. I don't want to make my blog so candid, as it was intended as a travel blog, but there it is, or was.

Sorry for the word vomit and I'll be sure to write something real poetic soon. For now I'll leave you with a poetic song.

1 comment:

SC said...

Your post popped up on my Reader feed (welcome back), and I'm glad to read you're looking at Ireland. Trinity would be a fantastic place to study, and Dublin is a great city.

Don't be afraid of the future. Everyone ends up where they need to be. :)