Thursday, November 19, 2009

Whispers and the Rumor Mill

Today has been a day full of shadow and mystery. This morning when I looked out my window, which usually looks out at the Capitol building. But this particular morning, no capitol. My roommate and I freaked out and turned on CNN to see if something catastrophic had happened. Then we realized A) If something had happened, we definitely would have heard it and B) It was an extremely foggy day.

This mystery has just been the beginning of all the questions to be asked today. The second came when a group came in around lunch time. Will they be eating? Will there be food? And, most importantly, will there be leftovers for the intern? I am still awaiting the results of this. They are still in a meeting behind closed doors, and now, I am distracting myself from the hunger by blogging- as the smell of little sandwiches and soup comes wafting up the stairs and through my office door. I can hear the clanging of dishes, and the growl of my stomach. I am ready to eat.

Another mystery involves the event for which I was primarily hired: The Christmas Party. Rumor has it that it isn't happening anymore. Which saddensm me- severly. I am waiting on the word still, and as soon as I find out- I am buying a new dress. 'Tis the season for looking good.

All these mysteries have taught me to ask questions. Is it annoying? yes. Is it nosy? yes. Do I learn something? yes. I'm tired of being the intern who doesn't know a thing, so I've taken the liberty today of walking around and asking people questions today.

This is how I discovered 2 more mysteries. I saw a woman, created name plates. After investigation, I found out there is a dinner coming up. (Which, of course, I am not invited to). So, case opened, and case closed.

The second mystery is a bit more depressing. All the diplomats in the Embassy belong to Unions, and those Unions are almost definitely going to strike starting Tuesday. Which on one hand is great. I won't have to come in to work!

On the other hand, it is very sad. If it lasts more than a couple of days, then Monday could potentially be my last day at the Embassy. I do love this place to pieces. I know it like I know my home, and like it better than my home at 510 C. If they offered me a cot in my office, I would move in right away. So, I do hope that these are not my final hours at the Embassy, as I feel things have just gotten started. So maybe, I will still come into work even if nobody is here.

I have this fantasy that since everyone is gone, the Department of Foreign Affairs calls upon me to do what needs to be done. I will work tirelessly, functioning as a temporary Ambassador- hosting dinners, holding meetings, making phone calls, and toiling endlessly. At only 20 years old, I will be the only non-Irish citizen to be the Ambassador of Ireland to the United States. I could use that on my resume.

In the end, maybe my curiosity and imagination are just me leading to more ignorance and more uncertainty. What will become of Katrina, the Irish-American-Nebraskan intern? Find out on the next edition of "Wanderlust."

1 comment:

Treno said...

Girl, you have to write a novel !
Your posts are so good, and very nice to read!