YOU MUST WATCH THIS! Nebraska was on TV.
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=12839723
I ask you at this time to recall the very first post I ever had on this blog:
You know what this means? When I am abroad, I am in the happiest place in THE WORLD, and when I return home, I will be in the happiest place in America. Does this make me the happiest person in the world? Yes, I think it does :)
My happiness is due to many factors, I think. Today, I was thinking, "Wow, I am so blessed." I then began daydreaming, and missed my bus stop, but it was okay, because I was able to communicate with the bus driver in Danish!
Speaking of speaking in Danish, I spoke more in Danish this weekend in Copenhagen then I have my entire stay in Denmark! But more about that later... Next blog :)
I want to tell you now about last week, and all the wonderful things (and not so wonderful things) that happened. First of all, I arrived home from England to find a slip of paper saying that the post office had a package from my grandma! So I took a very long bus journey across Aalborg (almost one hour with one bus transfer!) to the Post Office. It was difficult to find, since it was inside a grocery store. I made it there eventually, and tears welled up in my eyes the instant I saw it. It had the US mail stamps, and my grandma's handwriting. I hugged the package and felt tears just run down my face as I thought of my grandma packing the things into the box and take it to the post office in Ruthven. It was a tad-bit dramatic, I'll admit, but it was so special to me, I didn't stop smiling for hours. In the box was Saltine crackers (YUM!) cookies, scarves, and candy.
After the long Post Office bus journey, I discovered I was only a half hour walk from home, so I did that instead. On my way, I came across a field of horses! Well, there were two. I pet them, and fed them one of the apples from my bag. It was magical, as cheesy as it seems.
The next day, my Italian friend had me and some others over for dinner, where we all prepared our dinner- and got our hands very dirty! We prepared gnocchi, a potato pasta. First, we peeled the potatoes, then we mashed them up using our hands on a bare table. With the mashed taters, each person made a volcano shape in front of then, and cracked two egg yolks into the center. Around the volcano, we put a ring of flour. So then we mixed the potatoes into the eggs, then the flower into the mixture. Then everyone had this dough, and from that, you rolled it bit by bit into thin logs, and cut them off in 1/2 inch sections. From there, we boiled it, and served it with red sauce. The whole process was so fun- putting your hand into the mixture and getting your hands dirty! Also, it was delicious. I would like to make it for my family when I get home, this time, maybe served in a soup? Yum!
While things do make me miss home at times,it's not enough for me to miss out on the good times, like our Kollegium Disco party! I bought a new dress in London for the party (after all, a hostess must be the best dressed one, yes?). The music had a great vibe, and you could do the hustle all night long if you wanted. My room got used a lot to store coats of my friends. There were probably about 200 people that came through the Kollegium, lots of internationals, and, of course, Danes.
This is my British friend, Mark. He really got into the spirit of things.
The next night my friends Marysol and Kara and I went out to Jomfru Ane Gade to dance, and we found a great place where they were playing good American hip-hop. On the way home, we saw an intoxicated Danish mime throw up out the door of our bus. Probably the funniest thing I've seen in my life. Poor mime.
Among the other activities- dinner with my buddy, Klaus, who tried to fix my bike, a dinner at a Danish restaurant called "Huset," a tour of underground ruins of an old monastery, and watching a "football" game.
It was a great week to soak up Aalborg, although, unfortunately, now everyone is going away for Easter, and I am stuck here all alone. I am planning a brunch for some of my friends and I on Easter Sunday, and am looking for a church to go to, preferably in English. It is very lonely right now, only about 10 people are left in the kollegium, but I'm hoping my parents will send me a package soon? (please?)
Other than that, I recieved a job offer this summer from the Lincoln Community Playhouse to choreograph "Thoroughly Modern Millie." I am so torn about what to do. I would like to remain here in Europe for longer, but this would be a resume booster...I don't know. More to come about my trip to Copenhagen!
No comments:
Post a Comment